Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Social life vs. Academics

The question is: when is it appropriate to focus on social aspects of college, instead of academic? I often make plans and have to cancel them because my academics conflict with literally everything else in my life. I take my academics very seriously, but I feel that I am missing out a lot of the time. I feel guilty that I often ditch my friends to get my [work] done.







How I can relate:
I think this is a huge challenge for most college students. It is hard to balance both a social life and academics. I find myself canceling on friends too because I'm either too exhausted or I'm working on something pertaining to school work. I feel like my friends just stopped asking, because they believe I am not interested, and that's certainly not the case. 


How can you address this:
First off, I think it is important to not see going out and having a good time, as a bad thing. It's actually a good thing! Our brains need a rest from time to time, no lie. Taking some time off from classes releases a good deal of stress and worry. That does not mean that you will forget everything you've learned in class! There should be no guilt in having fun, especially when you have been performing at your best.


Secondly, create a "leisure schedule." Just like a class schedule, why not have a leisure schedule? Block off sometime during the week and/or weekend dedicated to you! AND STICK TO IT! If that means catching up/ hanging out with friends, going to a party, bowling, etc., tell yourself that you are going to do x,y,z this weekend. This helps to motivate you to complete the tasks during the week so that you can enjoy your "you" time much more. 


Finally, do not get consumed in your academic work. (I know, better said than done). There is, however, a difference in getting tons of homework (because it happens), and being beat down by the work load. I see so many of my peers overwhelmed by their amount of work, but what do you expect when you are taking 18 credits? You see, it isn't the amount of work, it's the belief that it can't be done. When you believe that it can't be done in a specific amount of time, your mind immediately cancels on your friends, fun and even sleep at times. When we think positively and we plan these "me times" ahead, it becomes a personal  challenge to complete your work so that you can enjoy your college experience to the fullest and in every aspect. 




*Remember that you do not have to sacrifice one for the other. NEVER! You can be a great student and a great socialite as well.


Thanks for your question. I hope this response helps! 

No comments:

Post a Comment