The question is: As a college student money is always on my mind... ALWAYS. I'm always trying to find ways to apply for scholarships and grants, but sometimes it is really frustrating to apply for 10 scholarships, spend $100 in transcripts and not get a single one. I try to go on the local level, with the competition being smaller but even then it is quite hard. What would your advice be for students who are constantly scrambling for more aid?
How I can relate:
First off, let me be the one to say that YOU ARE NOT ALONE! I don't know too many college students that don't think about finances. I too, am a scavenger when it comes to scholarships and grants and I also end up not finding any. I turned frustration into persistence and what I call "crime free hustling," to pay for books and extra items.
They say patience is a virtue, but...:
When applying for popular scholarships, remember you are one person in a large pool of applicants. Try going for something smaller like local and even some that the school/ alumni may offer. Definitely talk to someone in the Financial Aid Office to see if you qualify for any insitutional scholarships or grants. Finding more money is tough, but it shouldn't keep you from enjoying your experience. Don't wreck your brain like I did. Not good. Not good at all.
"Crime Free Hustling":
One day I just stop looking online and I turned to someone that works at my university that I trusted and look up to and I ask if they knew of any wage job opportunities, since I do not have work study. She told me she would do what she can. Less than a couple of days I landed a paid internship. It never hurts to open your mouth and speak your concerns. SOMEONE WILL LISTEN. Talk to an advisor or mentor and I'm sure they will help you as much as they can, especially if they know somebody, that know somebody, that knows somebody. Basically, use your resources. Think of someone you confide in and let them know that you are looking for some scholarships that won't cost you $100 to be noticed. I know at my school, there are essay contests and other cool competitions on campus to put a little bit of greenbacks in your pocket.
It's Tricky:
Especially if the university may not have the funds to provide you, it can be difficult to get more money. I would definitely go to the office responsible for financial aid and ask questions on how to increase your aid legally. Talk to an advisor, and ask them if they have any knowledge of scholarships from alums or past colleagues.
Be positive:
To sum it up, you have to be positive. Keep a level head all the while. Money is a bummer when you don't have it, especially for your education. Be patient and keep your resources in mind :-)

No comments:
Post a Comment